Recently one of our families moved into a new home and so this past weekend we gathered in their front doorway to bless this family in their new house.
The ceremony went something like this:
- Affirmation of Hospitality. The time began with the reading of the story of Abraham and Sarah extending hospitality to three men who end up being messengers from God. (Genesis 18:1-8)
- Presentation of Mezuzah-One of our Jewish followers of Yeshua presented the family a Mezuzah, which is a little box to be hung in the doorway containing a scroll with the following passage:
“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.” Deuteronomy 6:4-9
- Statement of Husband and Wife’s Vision. Next the husband and wife shared with us the vision for their new home and for their family.
- Group Affirmation. The group then verbally affirmed the couple’s vision believing that their vision was in alignment with kingdom values. We also affirmed that their family belonged to us and we belonged to them.
- Individual Blessings. Members of the group then expressed their individual hopes and desires for this new home and the family members who lived there.
- Prayer. We ended the time in prayer asking the Lord to bless this home and family.