Insight #1: Asking penetrating questions is essential to making followers of Jesus.
“The right question asked at the right time will change a life forever.”
Jesus asked piercing questions. In the New Testament there are recorded over 180 questions that Jesus asked. It is especially interesting to look at the specific questions that Jesus asked his twelve disciples over the three years during which he was cultivating them to become followers of him.
The heart is impenetrable. Questions are a subtle means to unlock her mysteries and release the life to fulfill the purpose for which the Lord has created his child. The right question asked at the right time will change a life forever.
Here are a couple of Lewie’s favorites:
- Picture your own funeral. What do you want your family, friends and co-workers to say about your life?
- What might God want you to hear in the events of your life? Have the difficulties you have faced made you bitter or better?
- Who are the people who have had the greatest positive impact on your life? What outstanding characteristics or attributes do you admire in these people?
- What has been the most fulfilling event of your life? Why?
- What is your genuine sustained passion?
- Have you noticed a pattern of God’s movement in your life?
- What disabling weakness do you have and how are you trying to overcome it?
- Describe your relationship with your dad. Describe your relationship with your mother.
(I have over 200 questions that I can email you upon request.)